What does priming mean?
When it comes to centrifugal pumps, they need to be prepared (primed) before they’re used. This usually involves filling them up with water and creating a vacuum within the pump. If air gets into a regular, non-self priming pump, it stops working until the air is removed. This problem is often referred to as air binding.
What does a self-priming pump do?
Removing air manually from a regular, non-self priming pump takes a lot of effort. A self-priming pump saves you this trouble by dealing with air binding on its own.
How does a self-priming pump work?
A self-priming pump gets rid of air by mixing it with the water present in the pump. The air and water are then pushed into a separation chamber. Here the air, being more buoyant, rises above the water and once the two are separated, the air is pumped out. The water is pumped back in. This establishes a vacuum in the pump which is the main aim of priming.
After that, it works like a normal centrifugal pump. It’s important to note that a self-priming pump won’t work if there’s no water in it.
What are the benefits of using a self-priming pump?
- A self-priming pump saves you a lot of time and effort you would’ve otherwise put into priming the pump manually
- A self-priming pump doesn’t just work in water. It can also work in slurries as well as solids (up to 3 inches)
- It can handle hot or cold water and its operation is unaffected by liquids that may be volatile, corrosive or hazardous
- Unlike a submersible pump, it can function even when it’s not completely submerged in the fluid it’s pumping
The SP-M series of Kirloskar pumps are non-clog, self-priming centrifugal pumps. They can be used in various marine, industrial, civil construction, mobile machinery and public utility applications. Its non-clogging impeller deals with suspended solids and it has dynamically balanced rotating parts that minimize vibrations. It can withstand voltage fluctuations and its efficiency is at par with international standards. Maintaining the pump is simple and spare parts are easily available.
Vijay Engineering and Machinery Co. is one of the prominent Kirloskar pump dealers in Mumbai and is among the leading industrial pump distributors. To know more about pumps or to find out how to purchase one, visit our website.
- Choose The Right Financial Model For Your Solar Energy
- Energy Saving and Efficient Water Pumps – The Need of the 21st Century